Are you an adrenaline junkie? Enjoy one of these experiences for high-action fun
Quench your wanderlust and experience an adrenaline rush on this active trip through one of the world’s greenest places, Costa Rica. Intrepid Travel offers an 18-day trip that explores the country’s sites, from bustling San José to the stunning Carara National Park. Along the way, you’ll enjoy white-water rafting down the Pacuare River and spend a night in a rainforest eco lodge. Snorkel in the company of turtles, barracuda and reef sharks in Cahuita National Park. Cycle along the Caribbean coastline to the mellow beach refuge of Puerto Viejo, and paddle through the waterways of Tortuguero National Park in search of some monkeys, toucans and jaguars.
· Costa Rica: Raft, Surf, Kayak & Hike 18-day tour is from £3,030 for selected dates in 2019, including activities, experienced guides, accommodation, meals and transfers. Book online at Intrepidtravel.com or call 0808 274 5111. You need to have a good level of fitness. Minimum age is 15.
Hit the waves
If you fancy some action surrounded by amazing scenery, then kitesurfing the One Eye Wave in Mauritius is a must. This addictive extreme sport is a combination of wakeboarding, snowboarding, windsurfing, surfing, paragliding and skateboarding. The Le Morne Peninsula is situated on the far south-western tip of Mauritius and is home to the legendary wave, which is one of the world’s largest and cleanest.
The St Regis Mauritius Resort hosts one of the best schools for kitesurfing, the ION Club, which offers both tuition for beginners and equipment hire. It’s situated right on the beach, so if you’re not up for having a go, sit back and watch the professionals get their fix.
· Kitesurfing starts from £130 for a two-hour private training session, including all equipment rental and insurance. Book online at Ion-club.net
· Stay at the St Regis Mauritius Resort from £632 per room per night. Book online at Stregismauritius.com. Flights from London to Mauritius cost from £380 return with Air Mauritius at Airmauritius.com
Walk on the wild sid
Experience the most amazing view of the Grand Canyon at Eagle Point’s Skywalk. It’s a ten-foot-wide, horseshoe-shaped glass bridge extending out 70ft over the rim of the Canyon. Look down, and you can see through the glass platform, 4,000ft to the floor of the Canyon below, offering unparalleled views
of the one of the world’s Seven Natural Wonders. Don’t be nervous about walking on the glass as it can withstand the weight of 70 747 passenger jets!
While at Eagle Point, you could also check out the new
zip lines that will let adrenaline-seeking adventurers soar nearly 1,000ft above the floor of a side canyon, located amid West Rim’s stunning scenery. Speeds can approach a whopping 50mph.
· Skywalk prices are from £51 per person, and zip line prices are from £47 per person. Book online at Grandcanyonwest.com
Get your rocks on
Fancy getting your kicks from exploring the wild coast of Cornwall and its unique craggy cliffs? Then join a coasteering adventure and experience a buzz like no other as you walk, and sometimes swim, through old smugglers’ caves, spot incredible marine life, negotiate natural rapids and whirlpools and attempt adrenalin-fuelled cliff jumps. This type of adventure will really get your heart pumping, and you’ll also learn a little about the coastline while simultaneously enjoying some of Cornwall’s most beautiful views. Routes can be personalised to suit your ability and strengths, so it’s not just available for the super-fit.
· Newquay Activity Centre offers many experiences with the North Coast Challenge, starting from £45pp for two hours. Cost includes experienced guides, winter warm wetsuits, helmets, safety briefing and buoyancy aids. Book online at Newquayactivitycentre.co.uk or 01637 877722.
Desert quad biking
Discover the rocky deserts of Marrakech on a half-day quad-biking tour. You’ll head out across rough and smooth terrain with your guide through the Palm Grove area, and climb to the top of the Jbilets – little mountains – to admire the views. Halfway through the experience, you’ll stop at a village to enjoy mint tea and handmade crepes in a traditional Berber house with friendly Moroccan hospitality.
· Quad biking costs £130pp, including hotel transfers. Book online at, Plan-it-morocco.com who also provide full itineraries for camel trekking and walking in the Atlas Mountains, and accommodation throughout Morocco.