Often listed as one of the top 10 most colourful places in the world, Burano – in the Venetian lagoon – is famous for its brightly painted houses, including the renowned La Casa di Bepi Sua, with its geometric shapes and vibrant patterns. Accessible from Venice or Murano via a series of canals, Burano is home to 3,000 inhabitants and is a treasure trove of beautiful sights.
The area is famous for its lace, and while there you can watch local women embroidering in the streets, visit their shops in the central Piazza Galuppi or find out more at the Museo del Merletto (lace museum). Nearby, check out the Town Hall and Burano’s famous Leaning Bell Tower. For the best views, head to Terranova’s marble bridge or Giudecca’s Street.
• EasyJet offers three nights at the four-star Carlton Hotel in Venice (room only) for £245 per person including flights and 23kg of luggage each from London Gatwick on 8 Feb 2022. Book with easyJet Holidays at Easyjet.com.
Bo-Kaap, South Africa
Formerly known as the Malay Quarter, the Bo-Kaap (meaning Upper Cape) makes up a colourful corner of the bustling city of Cape Town. The painted buildings and cobbled streets are perfect for filling your Insta feed, but there’s a lot more than grid fodder on offer. Some of the houses date back to the 17th century, when Bo-Kapp was a soldiers’ garrison. Freed slaves later inhabited them before their predominantly Muslim descendants were segregated there under apartheid law. A 90-minute walking tour, with City Sightseeing South Africa or Cape Town Free Walking Tours, will lead you through the picturesque streets and sights. Elsewhere, the Auwal Mosque – the first to be constructed in South Africa – is worth a visit, and Monkeybiz sells souvenirs with a conscience so you can shop responsibly. Foodies should check out Bo-Kaap Kombuis, a family-run restaurant serving traditional curries, samosas and meat dishes with fantastic views of Table Mountain.
• British Airways are offering four-night holidays to Cape Town from £666 per person, based on two people sharing. Price includes B&B accommodation at The President Hotel and return flights from London. Visit Britishairways.com for more information and to book.
Poland’s fourth-largest city is a lively cultural hub and major industrial, commercial and educational centre. It’s also visually stunning and its large and colourful market square, Rynek, is the heart of the city. With historic houses and a vibrant atmosphere, it’s a popular space to gather, dine and people-watch, while the Gothic city hall, with its 66-metre tower, dominates.
Elsewhere, the city – which has an idyllic location on the Odra River – comprises 12 islands and has 130 bridges. The Wroclaw Zoological Garden is the oldest in Poland and well worth a visit, and the beautifully preserved Cathedral Island is a must for fans of Gothic architecture.
• Travel Republic are offering a three-night holiday to Wroclaw for £394 for two people, including B&B accommodation at the five-star Radisson Blu Wroclaw and return flights from London Luton, based on departure date 3 February 2022. Visit Travelrepublic.co.uk for more options and to book.
Old Havana, Cuba
The ancient heart of the Caribbean’s oldest city, Old Havana is a striking, vivid and fascinating place to visit With narrow streets packed with a mix of resplendent and ramshackle buildings, it’s sandwiched between the harbour and more modern neighbourhoods. The best way to explore is on foot, starting with the four plazas – Plaza Vieja, Plaza de San Francisco, Plaza de la Catedral and Plaza de las Armas – then take the Calle Obispo to Parque Central. El Paseo, a grand avenue with a shady, tree-lined walkway, leads to the bay and that’s where you’ll find the Malecón – Havana’s most varied and popular public space. Elsewhere, the Museo de la Revolución – located in the former presidential palace – tells a compelling story of the Cuban revolution, and the Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes has two buildings showcasing both Cuban and international art.
When you tire of exploring, relax with one of the cocktails that originated here – the daiquiri, mojito or Cuba Libre.
• TUI offers seven-night holidays to Jibacoa (50 minutes from Havana) staying at the four-star Memories Jibacoa Hotel on an all-inclusive basis from £996pp (based on two adults), plus flights departing from Manchester on 7 March 2022 and transfers. To book, go to Tui.co.uk or download the app.
Originally a busy commercial port and famously home to Hans Christian Andersen, the houses in Nyhavn have been beautifully renovated and the area is now bustling with cafés and restaurants. Popular with locals, who go to the quay for a cold drink at the end of a long summer’s day, it’s also magical in winter, as Danish delicacies are served up under twinkling lights.
Elsewhere in the city, there’s plenty to see. Wildlife watchers should check out Copenhagen Zoo and Den Blå Planet aquarium, while art fans will love the SMK (the largest art gallery in Denmark). Visitors of all ages will be charmed by the unique 175-year-old amusement park Tivoli Gardens, with rides, concerts and attractions set in lush surroundings.
• EasyJet Holidays offers three nights at the four-star 71 Nyhavn Hotel for £449 per person, including flights and 23kg of luggage per person from Manchester airport on 2 March 2022. Book with easyJet Holidays (Easyjet.com).
Please check Gov.uk/guidance/travel-advice-novel-coronavirus for travelling advice following the outbreak of the coronavirus