Chill out in Cheshire
Spread over 2,400 acres on the Cheshire Plain, Delamere Forest offers a tranquil escape. With 66 woodland cabins – all with a hot tub as standard – blending harmoniously into the landscape, you can enjoy splendid isolation in the most stunning of settings. There are plenty of activities to enjoy on site, from Forest Discovery sessions with the resident Forest Ranger, to stargazing, cycling, brunching, and even signing up for an in-cabin massage.
Elsewhere, discover the Sandstone Ridge – shortlisted as an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty – or head out to the Peak District National Park, Chester Zoo or the Cheshire Oaks Designer Outlet for a shopping fix.
• A four-night stay in a Silver Birch Cabin in Delamere Forest costs £450, based on arriving 6 December 2021. Go to[ Forestholidays.com](http:// Forestholidays.com) to book.
Switch off in Suffolk
Located near the West Stow Country Park and Anglo-Saxon Village, close to historic Bury St Edmunds in Suffolk, the family-run West Stow Glamping Pods are set within an idyllic woodland copse. There’s a variety of accommodation on offer, ranging from open-plan MegaPods, two-bedroom Woodland Lodges, and the star attraction Pod Hollow – a halfling-inspired, two-bedroom glamping pod set in the ground. You’ll need to bring your own bedding and towels, but the pods are heated for a comfortable stay year-round.
Nearby, you can discover the King’s Forest, West Stow’s famous archaeological site (complete with playground and café) or travel the four miles to the market town of Bury St Edmunds.
• Autumn prices start from £150 for two sharing a MegaPod for two nights (£525 for seven nights), £180 for two nights in the Woodland Lodge (£657 for seven nights) and £525 for three nights in Pod Hollow. Go to Weststowpods.co.uk to book.
Take a break in the Brecon Beacons
Wood Shack, which sleeps two, is hidden away in private woodland, surrounded by native trees, birdsong and the hills of the Brecon Beacons National Park. Originally a writer’s cabin, it’s furnished with items made by the owner from one of the local ash trees, and has plenty of stylish touches courtesy of his artist wife. Outside, there’s a huge deck for lazing and lounging, and a table for dining under the canopy of trees. For ultimate relaxation, there’s a hammock by the stream, where you can read your book or enjoy a glass of something chilled.
In the area, you can walk the Sugar Loaf Mountain, or explore the Brecon Beacons or Wye Valley. There are great road trails and pony trekking opportunities, or you could head into Crickhowell for a taste of town life.
• A three-night stay at Wood Shack costs from £154 per person (£307 in total). Go to [Sugarandloaf.com to book](http://Sugarandloaf.com to book).
Wind down in West Sussex
Set in acres of bluebell-swathed woodland, Little Bear is a unique hideaway in the heart of the Weald Downlands. Complete with eco hot tub this stylish cabin sleeps two and is the perfect hybrid of sustainable and luxury. With no wi-fi or television, prepare to lose yourself in nature and embrace the simple life – although we do recommend sipping a martini under the stars.
If you choose to explore further, the South Downs National Park has more than 600 square miles of glorious countryside to discover, or you could try paddle boarding at West Wittering Beach. For something closer to home, The Blue Ship at Billingshurst is the perfect country pub for a delicious meal, welcoming atmosphere and brilliant selection of real cask ales.
• Prices start from £1,250 per week or £995 for a short break. Go to[ Uniquehomestays.com ](http:// Uniquehomestays.com )or call 01637 881183 to book.
Go wild in Wiltshire
Nestled within 80 acres of beautiful woodland, Brokerswood Holiday Park offers many outdoorsy adventures for active couples or families. From kayaking on the five-acre lake to Tarzan trails and axe throwing, there’s something for everyone. Stay in a Comfort Plus Pod, which sleeps up to four people and has a kitchenette, shower room and hot tub, or a Superior Lodge, which sleeps up to six across one double and two twin bedrooms.
Off-site, Longleat Safari Park is just nine miles away, and the historic attractions at Bath, Salisbury and Stonehenge are within easy reach, too.
• A Comfort Plus Pod costs £645 for seven nights or a Superior Lodge costs £1,1,49 for seven nights. Prices are based on stays from 1-8 October 2021. Go to Haulfrynholidays.co.uk to book.
Dine out in Dorset
Set in seven acres of Dorset’s magical ancient woodland and made up of unique, quirky and stunning accommodation options, Mallinson’s Woodland Retreat offers yurts, a tipi, treehouse, bell tents or shepherd’s hut to stay in. Each unit is carefully positioned for privacy, and each has its own pizza oven among other mod cons.
Located ten minutes from Axminster and ten miles from Lyme Regis, there’s plenty to do locally. Foodies will love the selection of casual cafés and gastronomic eateries nearby, too.
• Prices start from £417 for three nights in the Bodger Shepherd’s Hut, £973 for seven nights in Coracle the Yurt or £1,485 for three nights in the Pinwheel Treehouse. All prices are based on arriving 8 October 2021. Go to Furtherafield.com to book.
Please check Gov.uk/guidance/travel-advice-novel-coronavirus for travelling advice following the outbreak of the coronavirus